All You Need to Know About Search Engine Marketing (SEM)Maaz Habib
The global competition is increasing at a very high rate. Businesses have to strive hard in order to survive in an environment where competition is tough and is increasing on a daily basis. In this world of increasing competition, Search Engine Marketing or SEM is said to be the most effective ways to expand your business while maintaining a competitive edge in the industry. It is one of the most efficient ways to increase your visibility in the search engines in order to drive a highly qualified targeted audience towards your website.
Search engine marketing (SEM) is a form of paid advertisement which is a strategy employed by businesses to appear on the result pages of search engines like Google. Another alternative name given to search engine marketing (SEM) is pay-per-click (PPC).
Why is Search Engine Marketing important?
Search engine marketing, unlike search engine optimization, is a paid advertising which helps businesses to expand their reach and attract potential customers to their websites. There is an increasing number of people using online platforms such as social media platforms to shop and acquire information about their desired products. Due to this search engine marketing has become an important marketing strategy that will help businesses reach their targeted customers. With the visit of each customer, the ranking of the website increases automatically in the search engine results. Some of the key advantages of using search engine marketing are as follows;
- Helps the businesses in generating qualified traffic
- Improves the rankings of the website in SERPs
- Creates brand awareness
- Increases the company’s reach
- Improves the credibility and trustworthiness of your brand
When employing online marketing strategies, the main purpose of companies is to make themselves visible. Improved visibility of the business in search engine results and social media platforms will not only generate leads but will also generate sales making the company achieve profitability.
SEO vs SEM
Search engine optimization and search engine marketing are two different things. Search engine optimization (SEO) purely attracts traffic for websites organically. Whereas on the other hand, search engine marketing (SEM) drives quality traffic to websites and web pages through paid and organic search both.
Search engine optimization is important because it is easy for the search engine crawlers to understand an optimized website. This will subsequently increase the chances of the website being ranked higher in the search engines.
Search engine marketing (SEM) allows you to buy advertising space in the search engines. The websites pay to drive traffic towards their website unlike SEO which attracts an audience organically and for free.
Search engine marketing comprises different tools and techniques which are targeted towards optimizing the search engine advertising. With the help of these tools and techniques, search engine marketing reaches customers at the right time i.e. when they are open to new information.
The three basic types of search engine marketing (SEM) are;
- Pay-Per-Click (PPC); a form of online advertising where advertisers pay for whenever someone clicks on any of their ads.
- Local SEO; a form of SEO that will help your business to show up in Google map results
- Organic SEO; a form of SEO that helps your website to drive unpaid traffic and gain high visibility in the search engines.
Let’s now discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each type of search engine marketing in order to make it easy for marketers to choose.
The tools which are used by the marketers when performing search engine marketing (SEM) are listed below;
- Keyword Research; a very common concept in search engine optimization and marketing. It forms the basis for search engine marketing. Make use of keywords which are of high commercial intent and are strongly preferred by the searchers. For example, deals, and discounts.
- Shortened URLs; make use of short URLs as this will help avoid confusion, is easy to remember and aesthetically appealing for searchers.
- Links; when optimizing your websites for search engines it is very important to build links. The popularity of the website is based on the number of inbound links the website has. Greater the links, more the popularity.
- Web Analytics; this tool will help you measure traffic while controlling and improving your website
Now let’s take a look on some of the most important strategies for search engine marketing (SEM);
One of the most important aspects of search engine marketing is the design of your website. Create and develop an attractive and beautiful design for your website because it always makes the first impression.
- Focus on creating quality content for visitors
- Determine the demographics of your visitors and then convert your prospects into customers to generate sales
- Don’t forget to add infographics. They are one of the most important and powerful search engine marketing strategies.
- Keep a track of the backlink used by your competitors.
Hence, focus on these tools and strategies to help your website increase its visibility in the search engine result pages.